Pastor Stephen Grant?

Stephen Grant is the pastor at St. Mary’s Lutheran Church on eastern Long Island. Grant is one of the more unique second-career clergy around, as he once worked for the CIA. Besides theology, his interests include archery, golf, writing, classic films, the beach, poker, baseball, and history. Grant also knows his wines, champagnes and brews. Oh yes, he generally dislikes politicians, and happens to be an expert marksman with a handgun and a rifle, while being pretty handy with a combat knife as well.

Wednesday, July 8, 2015

Reviewer/Reader Quote of the Day: Warrior Monk

Reviewer/Reader Quote of the Day:

Amazon review of WARRIOR MONK:

"When I received an email recommending Warrior Monk and explaining the gist of it, I figured for a $9.99 download to my Kindle I'd take a chance. As a Lutheran pastor and law enforcement chaplain (federal and local) I figured it would be probably be interesting but light-hearted, like the old Rev. Randolph series or like a Spencer novel.

"Not so! This was an authentic page turner. I spent every free waking moment for three days turning those electronic pages. I don't know how the author got into the head of a real Lutheran pastor, but he did. Not a the milk toast minister, or the thread-bare social activist with a collar, but a man's man! Pastor Grant does the Office proud. He is a genuine theologian, pastor and Christian, and an authentic tough guy when called for. It doesn't surprise me because of my unique vantage point, but few people get it. Few understand that cops and clergymen are cut from the same cloth. They both live in the public eye, both are held to a higher standard, both wear uniforms, both fight evil, save lives, hear confessions, keep secrets, guard the line that people dare not cross, and both are mis-understood by most people. One guards the body, the other the soul. As for weapons, one uses the sword, the other the Word, or the case of Pastor Grant, both. Many pastors I know are shooting enthusiasts, own firearms, and if put into the position would use them to defend their own lives, the lives of their families and of their flock.

"The book nicely weaves a number of moral issues into the story (divorce, self-defense, war, torture of enemy combatants, the mendacity of politicians to name a few) and answers them from Scripture and traditional Lutheran theology. It panders to no one while at the same time abhors Christian parochialism. I have it on good word that the author has a series in mind, and I can't wait for the next installment. I will recommend this book to all of my colleagues, and to my congregation and law enforcement flock as well."

No comments:

Post a Comment